Monday, April 19, 2010

Kyria shares


Hey Hey My My, Uncle Jay Will Never Die

What can I say about Uncle Jay? There is so much, yet putting it all into a one or two paragraph blurb is harder than it seems. To help me figure out what to write, I looked at all the photos I have of him. I have a lot, but the thing I have the most photos of is of all of us at Christmas. For the past - I don't even know how many years, 10, 15...more - we have all spent Christmas together and since Sara has had her house, it has been there. And so has Uncle Jay. In his hat that annoyingly (!!xx!!) dings "Holly Jolly Christmas" or "Deck the Halls" -- I really can't remember the song. What I can remember is that Uncle Jay was always the life of the party. I am so glad he could be there with us every year.

He made everyone laugh. He was always upbeat. When I was home last Christmas I went with him to his Chemo. He knew all the nurses by name and they all loved him. He would joke with them and he knew all about their families and they knew all about his. That's how Jay was. All my friends know and love Uncle Jay. He is the silly one. The funny one. He is easy to love.

Jay didn't really like playing board games. But he would play with us if we played Yahtzee or Aggravation and he would cheat every time. And he would act like everything was going just like normal. And we would all pretend we didn't see him cheat. 

When I came home I would go down to his house and watch Grey's Anatomy and we would make fun of all the silly antics of the people on the show. Or we would watch Janet Jackson's concert and marvel at how nice her abs were. Or we would watch Kid Rock and talk about what white trash he was. And how fake Pamela's boobs looked, and by the way, why is she wearing a white bikini instead of a wedding dress? He and I could talk smack like no other.

Or we would put Billy Idol on soooo loud and we would sing along to "White Wedding"....it's a nice time to START AGAAAAIIIIN!!! He loved music.

I heard this song on the radio on Thursday morning and it made me think of Jay. I don't know if he liked Neil Young...but he loved Rock and Roll...and I loved him. He is the King. Gone but not forgotten.

Hey hey, my my
Rock and roll will never die
There's more to the picture
Than meets the eye
Hey hey, my my

Out of the blue and into the black
You pay for this and they give you that
Once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue
And into the black

The king is gone but he's not forgotten
Is the story of Johnny Rotten?
It's better to burn out 'cause rust never sleeps
The king is gone but he's not forgotten

Hey hey, my my
Rock and roll will never die
There's more to the picture
Than meets the eye

Last but not least, Uncle Jay LOVED the beach, so in his honor I will leave him with this. I hope this is what his heaven looks like:

No comments:

Post a Comment